Monday, November 4, 2013

Lee Seung-Hwan / Task 5.2 / Tue 1 p.m

I interviewed my friend, who is a freshman majoring in economics in HUFS currently. He went to same high school with me, and as I went to HUFS, he prepared the exam once again. After one year, when I became a sophomore, he entered HUFS. I asked him about how he likes his major and if he has a specific plan to have a job which is relevant to his major. I also interviewed about the hardships he faced during studying economics.

 

1. What did you learn about interviewing?

 

I learned that interviewing should not be so mechanic. I mean, it just doesn't go like I ask prepared questions, and the interviewee answers completely inside that frame of the question. Interviewing should be like having a conversation between two people. Some answers can stray from the original question, and some new questions can be created, but that's okay. Comfortable atmosphere and flexible questions could generate more useful and long answers. If you just read some prepared questions, and just wait, the interviewee will end up with just few sentences. You should communicate with the interviewee.

 

2. What question got the longest answer? Why?

 

The question about hardships arising from studying economics got the longest answer. It must be because he got many hardships through studying his major. One of main hardships he mentioned was that economy changes depending on the society. He said it is not a standstill study. He had to adapt many things he learned to the flexible, completely changing society, and he experienced many hardships for that.

 

3. What question got the shortest answer? Why?

 

The question about how he like his major got the shortest answer. He just answered he like his major, and he came to like his major. At first, he didn't like economics so much, but as he studied more and more, he came to like it. Honestly, when someone loves his or her studies, the reason is simple. It is just because he or she likes it. Maybe the preference of choosing what to study is relevant to that person's inborn preference. I like English, and I can hardly tell why. I just like it. Therefore, that's the reason why that question generated the shortest answer.

 

4. What question led to the most interesting response? Why?

 

I asked him "If you were to go back to your high school days, would you choose economics again as your major?" Then he replied, "I can't really tell. However, if I still know the fun that economics can offer me, I think I will choose this major again." Seemed like he really likes his major.

No comments:

Post a Comment