Saturday, September 21, 2013

Wonpil Lee/ p. 50~51/ Tue 1 pm

Don't D.I.Y.


Are you going to buy D.I.Y. furniture? Are you now surfing in the internet world to find a inexpensive D.I.Y product? Wait! What's the hurry? Please sit down and listen to me. Probably you are now reading such an attractive sentence. "You can easily carry out the process of assembly. It is easy and simple. Moreover, purchasing this product, you are saving your money." NO! Don't listen to those words. You should listen to my experience carefully and decide whether you buy it or not.


I have ever purchased a D.I.Y. chair via internet. I believed those sweet advertisement like you. At the first time I received it, I was pleased because I saved 8,000 won as I had ordered that D.I.Y. product. However, when I attempted to assemble it, I was embarrassed. It was not easy. It was not simple. Although I spent 5 hours to try to assemble it, I did not make it eventually. I was frustrated. The most frustrating thing was that my whole family blames the failure on me. They said, "You should have purchased an assembled product." "Read the instruction manual more carefully." "Why don't you call the seller to make inquiries?" I did not want to call the seller because it was a kind of approval that I had failed to make it. I did not want to approve my failure, so I said, "I am going to make it next weekend. I can make it without any help of others."


Next weekend I had to attempt to assemble it again. I was reluctant to do it because I had already spent 5 hours of my last weekend. But, to my surprise, I did it this time very easily. It took only 30 minutes to do it. I don't know the reason. It was a kind of miracle. I was proud of myself and my family was also satisfied because we was able to spend our weekend in the clean and broad living room. However, there was something weird. A small piece of the product is remained unassembled. At that moment, I thought it was an additional part for emergency, so I did not mind.


However, the problem occurred after several weeks. One wheel of the chair was broken because one small piece of it had been unassembled. Yes. It was the piece I had missed. I had to buy pieces of the broken wheel again from the seller. It cost 8,000 won. It was the same price I had saved. Consequently, I realized that I had worked in vain. If only I had purchased a complete product, I could have saved my 5 hours and 30 minutes of holiday, and my family would not have blamed me.  


Until now I haven't told my family the truth because I am very ashamed. Nobody knows it but you. If you had a plan to purchase a D.I.Y. product, you should thought again. It is possible that you would spend more time and more money than you bought a complete product.



4 comments:

  1. It's really interesting and funny story, though you suffered a lot of problem. I like your piece of writing because you absolutely captured my attention at the very first paragraph. And I also can imagine your embarrassed face easily from your specific description of that situation. I really enjoyed your piece. I want to buy D.I.Y and try to assemble it by myself.

    Jungha Lee Student

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I really enjoyed your writing. I laughed out so hard! I think your writing is the most humorous one among the all. I especially liked your tone. It was like you're directly speaking to me in person. Consequently, your writing was really persuasive. Especially, I liked how 8,000 won appears at the beginning, and at the end. It made the writing more coherent and fun. Everything was clear and vivid. There are not many things that I can criticize with my eyes in this piece.


    Lee Seung-Hwan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    1. What was one detail that made this experience seem real to me?
    The recurring 8000 won along with the details of how frustrated the author was really reached me. I think it was because I had a similar experience prior to that.
    2.Were there any places where you got confused? If so, where were they?
    At the part where you said "I was proud of myself and my family was also satisfied because we was able to spend our weekend in the clean and broad living room", I felt like it would have been better if you wrote something about how messy or cramped the living room was before you had put the D.I.Y. together.
    3.Reread the first paragraph of the essay. Do you think this is a good beginning? Does it make you feel like reading on?
    Yes, definitely. It was catching, and made me wonder about why the author would so vehemently be against D.I.Y. furniture. It was funny as well.
    4.What basic verb tense does the writer use? If the writer changes tense, is the tense change appropriate?
    The author uses present tense in the beginning and changes to past, and turns to present again.
    5.What would you like to know more about when the writer revises?
    I would like to know what the response of your family was when you found out that you had to buy the wheel again. I'm supposing the situation itself would have been really funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. By Wonpil Lee

    Final Draft:
    Don’t D. I. Y.

    Are you going to buy D. I. Y. furniture? Are you now surfing in the internet world to find an inexpensive D. I. Y product? Wait! What’s the hurry? Please sit down and listen to me. Probably you are now reading such attractive sentences: “You can easily carry out the process of assembly. It is easy. It is simple. Moreover, purchasing this product, you are saving your money.” NO! Don’t listen to those words. You should listen to my experience carefully and decide whether you buy it or not.

    I have ever purchased a D. I. Y. chair via internet. I believed those sweet advertisement like you did. I was pleased because I had saved 8,000 won as I had ordered that D. I. Y. product. However, when I attempted to assemble it, I was embarrassed. It was not easy. It was not simple. Although I spent 5 hours to try to assemble it, I did not manage to make it eventually. I was frustrated. The most frustrating thing was that my whole family blames the failure on me. They said, “Look at the foolish things you have messed up. The entire living room is full of your stupid pieces of the D. I. Y. chair.” “You should have purchased an assembled product” “Read the instruction manual more carefully” “Why don’t you phone the seller to make inquiries?” I did not want to call the seller because it was a kind of approval that I had failed to make it. I did not want to approve my failure, so I said, “I am going to make it next weekend. I can make it without any help of others.”

    Next weekend I had to attempt to assemble it again. I was reluctant to do it because I had already spent 5 hours of my last weekend. But, to my surprise, I did it this time very easily. It took only 30 minutes to do it. I did not know the reason. It was a kind of miracle. I was proud of myself, and my family was also satisfied because we was able to spend our weekend in the clean and broad living room. However, there was something weird. A small piece of the product is remained unassembled. At that moment, I thought it was an additional part for emergency, so I did not mind.

    However, the problem occurred after several weeks. One wheel of the chair was broken because one small piece of it had been unassembled. Yes. It was the piece I had missed. I had to buy pieces of the broken wheel again from the seller. It cost 8,000 won. It was the same price I had saved. Consequently, I realized that I had worked in vain. If only I had purchased a complete product, I could have saved my 5 hours and 30 minutes of holiday, and my family would not have blamed me.

    Until now I have never told my family the fact that I bought the parts of the chair again because I am afraid of getting the blame. My family will probably say, “Look at the foolish things you have messed up. You always make trouble.” I do not want to be an idiot, so I will NEVER say the hidden truth to them. Nobody knows it but you. Hush! And Listen carefully. If you had a plan to purchase a D. I. Y. product, do not hurry, and think again! You are likely to spend more time and more money.

    ReplyDelete