Sunday, September 22, 2013

Ju Yelam/Week 3 assignment-My experience/Tue 1p.m

             Have you ever heard of Massot? It is a tranquil, beautiful city in Thailand. Everything shines with the sun in the blue sky. But when I look at people who live in there, I cannot but help shedding my tears. Massot is a border area near Burma and there are many Burmese immigrant people. Especially the Caren who I met in Massot were illegal immigrants. They are minor tribes in Bumese and its' military government do not give them enough support in food, education, medical care and so on. Many Caren parents cross the Moei river, natural border line between Burma and Thailand to give their children more opportunities in education. When I first waved my hand to the Caren children, they were greeting with their big, double eyelids eyes smiling. They seemed very happy although school conditions were not very good. Later, I could know how they could smile in those situations.

 

             I went to the school in Massot on this summer vacation participating in school volunteer program. Diverse people from different majors with different ages gathered together for the same purpose that we want to give some real help to people in Massot. What we did were repairing the children's dormitories and doing some lessons. The volunteer team removed sharply bulged out bamboo and repaired it with more strong and safe timber. Finishing the work, we were all very proud of ourselves not because of the complement of the dormitory but because of the thought that we give a little but precious hope to the children. We also give math, art, English and physical education classes to children with local teachers. When I first entered the class and tried to say what I want, my tongue was useless and my head was blank. Children stared at my face with their clear eyes with curiosity. Because I did not know Curenese at all, I murmured with dynamic body language. Later, interpreter teacher help us stop using babbling. The children really loved all activities I did in class and had a great curiosity in a small thing. I looked passion in their eyes and hope as I taught them.

 

             I planned to go to Massot to give my knowledge and energy. Like most people, I thoght volunteering is that one side gives something to the other side. But after I finished the all program I realized that volunteering is an interactive activity. It was not giving but sharing because I felt and learned so much from the children. Above all, their attitude to the conditions was really impressive. We often hear the sounds of complain from many people who are not hungry, have comfortable houses and well-organized and convenient school. 'What is the difference between them and the children?' This is the question I had at the first time when I met them until the last time I said good-bye to them. The answer is thankful mind for what we have although they are very small. I thought if we could give up our desire to get more and more something just a little, we would spend our lifetime more happily and meaningfully. I felt really great during this summer as I learned so much and gave so much.

5 comments:

  1. I thamk you for opening my eyes, I never paid attention to that part of the world. What you did was noble,and you have somehow brighten up the streets of Massot with your existence. The best part was 'It was not giving but sharing because I felt and learned so much from the children' because I could feel sincerity in your words. I think you can improve this writing by adding more details like conversation you have had with children so that readers can clearly imagine what your experience and feel grater sympathy.

    -Jeong Doyoung

    ReplyDelete
  2. To. Ju Yelam
    What I really like about this piece of writing is that there is such pureness in your writing. You seem to bevery genuine about the things you saw or experienced. Your main point seems to be very clear and I was actually able to imagine myself in that place where you went this summer in Thailand. I really liked the way you said that their double eyelids were smiling. It sounds so sincere and brings warmth when i hear them. This is a very good piece of writing! Good job!!!
    From. Soyoung Park

    ReplyDelete
  3. a. Your experience seems to real to me regarding your specific description of the time enjoying with children in class and what you felt after the teaching experience.

    b. 1) I got confused in the first paragraph, lines describing the tribe 'Caren'. I think I didn't fully understand the singular and the plural you used. It's a little bit confusing
    2) In the 2nd paragragh, the 9th lines, you wrote "and tried to say what I want".
    It's ackward to me because it sounds like you tried to say something visible that you want to have not a word.

    c. I liked your beginning. I haven't heard about Massot, so it attracted me.

    d. You are using past and present tense both. I think it's appropriate because you described your past experience.

    e. Personally I want to know simple appearance of dormitory and classroom, or what specific activity you did to teach childeren more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Second draft- Ju Ye-lam

    Have you ever heard of Maesot? It is a tranquil, beautiful city in Thailand. Everything shines with the sun in the blue sky. But when I look at people who live in there, I cannot but help shedding my tears. Maesot is a border area near Burma and there are many Burmese immigrant people. Especially Karens who I met in Maesot were illegal immigrants. They are a minor tribe in Bumese and its’ military government do not give them enough support in food, education, medical care and so on. Many Karen parents cross the Moei River, natural border line between Burma and Thailand to give their children more opportunities in education.
    “Gualu-gil,” I said hello in Karen. When I first waved my hand to Karen children, they were greeting with their big, double eyelids eyes smiling. They seemed very happy although everything including curriculum, facilities was deficient. ‘How can they smile under these conditions?’ I thought it again and again to answer the question. Later, I finally know how they could smile in those situations.
    I went to the school in Maesot on this summer vacation participating in school volunteer program. Diverse people from different majors with different ages gathered together for the same purpose that we want to give some real help to people in Maesot. What we did were repairing the children’s dormitory and doing some lessons. The dormitory was complicatedly entangled with sharp, bulged out bamboos. The volunteer team cut them out with hammers and rebuilt it with more strong and safe timber. Finishing the work, we were all satisfied in thinking children who would sleep, chat and study in the dormitory. We also give classes such as math, art, English and physical education to children in communicating with local teachers. “Oh, my goodness, what should I do?” They were first words I said to myself when I enter the classroom. Children stared at my face with their clear, wide eyes with curiosity. It was the time that I have to speak something but an interpreter teacher was not yet there. So I murmured with dynamic body language. The children burst out laughing at my funny action and I also laugh at this embarrassing situation. There was no language but there was silent communication of feelings among us. The children really loved all activities I did in class and had a great curiosity in a small thing. I looked children’s passion to study in their eyes and I felt hope as I taught them.

    I planned to go to Maesot to give my knowledge and energy. Like most people, I thought volunteering is that one side gives something to the other side. But after I finished the all program, I realized that volunteering is an interactive activity. It was not giving but sharing because I felt and learned so much from the children. Above all, their attitude to the conditions was really impressive. We often hear complaints from those who are not hungry, have comfortable houses and well-organized, convenient school. ‘What is the difference between them and the children? What make the children smile?’ These were the questions I had at the first time when I met them until the last time I said good-bye to them. The answer is thankful mind for what we already have although they are very trivial things. I realized if we could give up our desire a little to get more and more something, we would spend our lifetime more happily and meaningfully. Until now, it is an unforgettable experience because I learned priceless lesson from my dear children in Maesot.

    ReplyDelete